Us (2019)



WARNING: This review contains spoilers

Us is a chilling film that will be a timeless classic in the horror genre. The movie is about a family of four on summer vacation. The mother, Adelaide played by  Lupita Nyong’o, experienced a traumatic event in her childhood at the same location her and her family are now vacationing at. Their first night, they are suddenly startled by the arrival of a family in their driveway, their doppelgängers! 

The cinematography and soundtrack are fantastic. In particular I liked the ballerinas scene because it was so haunting and powerful to the story’s message. It was very reminiscent of Black Swan. Lupita Nyong’o is an amazing actress in that she had to play two completely different characters. The children in this movie were also shining stars in the film. 


While I greatly enjoyed the first two thirds of the film, I have mixed feelings about the last third. The idea of suppressed doppelgängers in an experiment gone wrong revolting and killing humanity to claim their lives back is a clever and original idea. But I was left with wanting more. I felt like the reveal of their plan was tossed in suddenly, and then the movie had to move forward to the final act. I definitely did not see the final twist in the movie coming, and I loved it! For me the final reveal was a makeup for the plot hiccups. This is one of those films that leaves you haunted for days thinking about the film’s messages. All in all, this was a pretty good movie. Jordan Peele has a niche of using thrillers and horror movies as a tool to discuss social inequalities and issues, and I’m a huge fan. I can’t wait to see what other films he debuts in the future. 

Scoreboard:
Overall: 7/10
Gore: 4/5
Suspense: 5/5
Sex appeal: 0/5
Writing: 5/5
Creature Design/Makeup: 5/5
Brainssss: n/a

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terrifier (2017)

Bird Box (2018)

Ginger Snaps (2000)