We Are What We Are (2013)


We Are What We Are is an independent horror film that is ominous, grotesque, and surprising. 


I had no idea what this film was about- other than my partner suggest we watch it.I loved how unexpected We Are What We Are is, especially in terms of the last ten minutes of the film. At first I had no idea what was going on (“Is this a dream sequence?! Is this literally happening?!”), but I felt that the ending was right. It could have ended with the expected, with the good guys getting their way- but it did not. I also like how it tied back with the sisters wishing that they were different- that they did not enjoy the strange ways of their family. The ending represented the title of the film- that although the sisters did not feel like what their family did was right- they ultimately gave in to their impulses and allowed their id to succumb them.  


This film is also by the same group of folks that directed, wrote, and starred in Stake Land. Both films are very different, but I must commend the beautiful camera work of the gloomy outdoor scenery in both. What I also liked about this film was the acting done by Michael Parks. He is an eccentric actor who plays in eccentric films, including Tusk, Twin Peaks, and Grindhouse: Planet Terror. He unfortunately passed away earlier this spring. He was one of those actors who was never a household name, but acted in many, many films.



Summary: This film is disturbing, gross, and cinematically well-done. I will also never look at Parkinson’s disease the same again.


Overall: 6.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terrifier (2017)

Black Polka Dot Dress

Bird Box (2018)