IT (2017)



As a fan of the book and television series, I highly anticipated the remake of Stephen King's IT. After reading the book, I saw how much the television mini series missed their mark, including the storyline and overall horror. The 2017 remake of IT does not disappoint!

Pros: Acting: The acting performances of the children in this movie are outstanding- they're very believable and they're all lovable characters. I particularly enjoyed the heartwrenching performances of Beverly and Bill. Storyline: Like Stand By Me and Stranger Things, this film is about a group of underdogs whose friendship aids them in overcoming monsters, such as Henry the school bully and Pennywise the clown. This movie takes place during the 1980's, unlike the book and television series that's set in the 1950's. I like how the setting was revamped, and was also kept nostalgic. I also liked the balance of comedy and horror. Richie was given the sailor mouth, quick witted spotlight that he deserved, and it was entertaining to watch the New Kids on the Block references with Beverly and Ben. It really helped to have these comedic scenes balance the horrific ones. Which leads me to the next category. Scares: This movie was everything I ever wanted after reading the book! The film focused on each of the children's fears, as well as incorporating the history of Derry, a huge portion of the book. I can still remember being a teenager reading the chapter on the leper of Neboldt Street and being too scared to sleep with the lights off. Pennywise was portrayed by Bill Skarsgard as a whimsical character; soft-spoken and childlike. Though he seems to be more than human, something otherworldly, which I greatly appreciate the hint. Tim Curry's portrayal of Pennywise in the 1990's tv series was boisterous, flamboyant, and comical, and did not reveal his creature like qualities until the finale of the movie.


Cons: Special effects: As much as a I loved the all the frightening visuals, the special effects in this film could have been better. Because the special effects weren't always great, it would sometimes take me out of the moment and think "oh gosh, well that doesn't look real". I appreciate horror movie special effects at any level, but for a film as large as IT, I thought they could have done a better job. Much of the frightening parts are from jump scares, as sometimes the visual effects were not all that scary. Overall: 8.5/10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Terrifier (2017)

Black Polka Dot Dress

Bird Box (2018)